You will be amazed at how easy it was to transform this space into a 🔥 music studio.
In this article I cover how to install recessed crown molding. If you want to see how I did it then jump over to the video https://youtu.be/9SV7-c4xt8I. There I show you how to install the Philips Hue lights to provide indirect lighting. Here are the lights that I purchased and installed:
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Installed in the room are 10 recessed lights (also known as high hat lights, can lights or pot lights) each with a Philips Hue Bulb. The entire room can be customized to any color scheme you’d like. You can even tie the room theme into a mood controller or a game controller which will change the color depending upon what is happening in game. There are ways to control it with IFTTT as well.
How to install crown molding so you can place LED lights for indirect lighting:
1) You will need to get power to the area of the crown molding.
2) Measure the perimeter of the room and purchase the amount of wood and molding you need.
3) Determine the location of every stud using a stud finder.
4) Miter each board according to the corner that it will fit on (outside corner or inside corner).
5) Nail the first level boards in 5 1/2″ from the top (or the height that you choose). Use the precut blocks of wood to choose universal height around the perimeter. Each piece that you nail in you must make sure that the nail enters a stud and you must make sure you are not nailing into any wiring or piping.
6) Nail the second level boards in up 5/8″ from the bottom of the first level board to give it a depth of the buildout.
7) Lastly, install the crown molding around the perimeter.
8) Paint and caulk the crown molding. If the corners of the crown molding do not line up as they were in my video you can easily solve this by gluing it with cyanoacrylate glue and use some boards as I did to create pressure from the ceiling on both the left and right pieces. Let it sit overnight and it will cure.
Molding / Wood and material
How to install LED light strips within the crown molding:
1) Installation of the Philips LED shape lights requires a power source like I installed. Plug in the power supply from the Philips Hue Shape Lights Kit 2nd Generation 800276 kit http://amzn.to/2qfBwIh and connect the first shape light to it. You can connect up to six Philips 800292 Lightstrip Extensions to it. But keep in mind that there is a noticeable hum/buzzing that is heard coming from the power supply or the LED controller when you add too many to the kit. I didn’t notice this when I only had 5. Since the room is a 60 foot perimeter I needed two kits (two power supplies and two controllers) and 11 extensions. I then continued to plug in each Philips Hue Shape Lights 2nd Generation 800292 Lightstrip Extension – http://amzn.to/2qoxSYX into the continuous line.
2) I then installed the Philips Hue Bridge Kit 464479 – http://amzn.to/2oUVmVj (comes with 3 light bulbs) and downloaded the Philips Hue app onto my phone and went through the steps to establish connection between the bridge and the app and then between the bridge and the shape lights. The bridge was also able to control the Philips 464503 Hue White and Color A19 LED Bulbs http://amzn.to/2qoE57m with the app through the bridge.
Zircon Stud Finder – http://amzn.to/2oUXMU3
Air compresser/air hose
Finish nailer and 2″ finish nails
1/4″ Diablo router bit $29
Miter saw (you do not need a compound miter saw)
Dap Pro Caulk Kit – http://amzn.to/2oRGKFt
1) $85.44 quantity of 12 1″ x 3″ x 10′ @ $7.12 each boards for first and second levels of crown molding build out
2) $101.92 60 ft of 3 5/8″ high Crown moulding
3) Philips Hue Bridge Kit – http://amzn.to/2oUVmVj
4) Philips Hue Shape Lights 2nd Generation Extension – http://amzn.to/2qoxSYX
5) Philips Hue Shape Lights Kit 2nd Generation – http://amzn.to/2qfBwIh
6) $32.98 Paint / Primer for crown moulding – Home Depot White Satin Finish
7) White Paintable Caulk – http://amzn.to/2qoIAPa
Look for the upcoming video available soon.
Disteff Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/disteff
Shop on Amazon: http://amzn.to/2m1zURe
Amazon Credit Card: http://amzn.to/2m0FX8u
Equipment that I primarily use in my filming:
– This was filmed with a GoPro Hero4 Black in 4k video format: http://amzn.to/2ntLtxJ
– Using the Gorillapod Magnetic Tripod: http://amzn.to/1TwCCYT
– GoPro Cosmos Standard Frame Mount Housing: http://amzn.to/2n05v4Y
– Bestlight USB Port 20 LED Ring Shooting Night Flash Light for GoPro Hero4: http://amzn.to/2mZZhC9
– SanDisk Ultra 200GB MicroSDXC Class 10 Memory Card: http://amzn.to/2mtkd1p
– Samsung S7 Edge: http://amzn.to/2mP0MAP
– Anker Battery: http://amzn.to/2mP0TfJ
– Gaffer Power Gaffer Tape: http://amzn.to/2m8sXhl
– Amazon Basics Tripod: http://amzn.to/2n4Uuj1
– Blue Yet Blackout Edition: http://amzn.to/2mtgDV0
– Rode PS1A Microphone Boom: http://amzn.to/2m8oc7n
Get More Views, Subscribers and optimize your videos: https://www.tubebuddy.com/UDoIt
Mark My Spot Location Marker App for Android: http://bit.ly/1QRuITn
UDoIt Social Media